Advantages of Shared Hosting
- It a good option if you have a limited number of blogs and smaller websites as it is easy to maintain.
- It has an economical advantage.
- Technical maintenance of the server is not required, therefore you do not need a special skill set to handle your website.
- You can on-demand for extra storage space.
- All kinds of software, including virtualized software can be installed.
Disadvantages of Shared hosting
- Limited number of resources.
- Your website performance may be affected by other websites hosted on the shared server.
- You might have to face long term problems with scalability and backup.
- There is a possibility to face security issues for sharing a common server.
- You might have to configure firewall settings for certain applications.
- You will have a limited customer support only.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- You will have a huge space and bandwidth which enables you to do what you like.
- You can upgrade or downgrade your subscription at any time.
- You can configure anything you wish on the server as you own it.
- Run your own batch files to create multiple services inside the server using shell access.
- You can avail an extensive and dedicated 24/7 Customer Support which will help you have better security levels.
- You can have easy scalability and backup in this method.
- User partitioning enables you to custom firewall configurations.
Disadvantages of VPS Hosting
- You need a dedicated system administrator to take care of your server.
- It is usually costly so you should be careful with cheap offers.
- You must be particular with certain applications as they might have issues running in a virtualized environment.
Shared hosting and VPS hosting have a lot of differences as listed below:
- Resources: Shared hosting will have access to a limited number of resources only while the VPS hosting allows private disk spaces, having greater resource availability.
- Security: Shared hosting is comparatively less secure than VPS hosting.
- Platform: Shared hosting provides a basic level of file system and compartmentalization.